Cinereach is a 20-person team that continuously reinvents and adapts to the creative environments and conditions of the filmmakers we strive to support. This constant evolution has inspired a need for an innovative leader in the marketing and branding arena, who will harness Cinereach’s competitive advantage into a tangible brand strategy. The role will help lead Cinereach into the future and contribute significantly to identifying and executing its ultimate vision. The team member will join leadership team meetings to represent marketing and branding initiatives, manage current staff and external consultants, and work closely with the entire organization and the many films Cinereach supports.
The primary responsibilities of the role include:
- Developing and managing the evolution and implementation of Cinereach’s brand strategy.
- Contributing ideas to Cinereach’s overall brand and approach, in tune with trends and insights from the field.
- Leading Cinereach’s short- and long-term communications processes and strategies.
- Establishing marketing and publicity strategies for all internal productions, working closely with the Head of Distribution and the production department.
- Overseeing internal and external communications of the organization, including managing internal marketing staff and external consultants and publicity teams.
- Managing communications around external relationships with peer organizations, co-producers, and financiers.
Further responsibilities include:
- Overseeing Cinereach’s relationships with press and tastemakers.
- Community building among our filmmakers and constituents.
- Representing the organization at select events.
Cinereach is an independent film company dedicated to vital, artful filmmaking. To expand the creative potential of each project, Cinereach offers adaptive development, financing, production, and other support models that align with the unique vision of each supported filmmaker. Cinereach also strives for a more sustainable film industry through targeted initiatives and strategic collaborations with like-minded organizations and commercial entities. Recent Cinereach productions and co-productions include the narrative feature films We the Animals, Sorry to Bother You and a forthcoming stop-motion feature based on Marcel the Shell with Shoes On, as well as the documentaries MATANGI / MAYA / M.I.A. and Brimstone & Glory. Selah and the Spades, The Florida Project, Strong Island, Last Men in Aleppo, and the Academy Award nominated films I Am Not Your Negro, Cutie and the Boxer, and Citizenfour, are among over 200 films Cinereach co-financed across the globe. Filmmakers including Eliza Hittman, Barry Jenkins, and Terence Nance have participated in Cinereach’s year-long fellowships, and producers such as Julie Goldman, Karin Chien, Heather Rae, Shrihari Sathe, and Joslyn Barnes have received awards for their innovation and mentorship through the Cinereach producers initiative. Current not-for-profit collaborators include Sundance Institute’s Art of Nonfiction and Producing initiatives, Borscht Corp. of Miami, Indie Memphis, and Detroit Narrative Agency (DNA).
The Cinereach team is driven, creative, self-directed and entrepreneurial. Motivated by the opportunity to help bring ambitious visions to life, we apply diverse skills, passions, and a collaborative spirit to our shared work. We strive to create agency for each team member and provide dedicated resources to encourage experimentation with models and approaches of support. We look to everyone on our team to actively advance our company culture and uphold our values which include being present, being thoughtful, ensuring trust, and making it worth it. Most of the Cinereach staff work in a flexible, open plan office environment, which allows for both independent work and team-wide engagement.
The Ideal Candidate
For this position, the ideal candidate will be someone who is passionate about independent film and its role in shaping culture, and who possesses immense curiosity to help the company shift and anticipate emerging needs and opportunities as they arise. The candidate should be comfortable tackling projects head-on, cherishes self-direction, and thrives in a dynamic, fast-paced environment while juggling multiple priorities. The candidate will be driven to innovate in both small and major ways, and be looking to join a mission-driven team. Previous experience in communications at a media organization, as well as experience with brand strategies, is required.
Background & Qualifications
- 5 years of experience in branding and marketing and exposure to a similar or adjacent industry and rapid growth culture.
- Experience in an entrepreneurial and creative environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to effectively interact with a variety of personalities and communication styles within and outside Cinereach and at all organizational levels.
- A proactive, solutions-oriented self-starter, who possesses a flexible, pragmatic and creative approach to problem-solving and management.
- Able to multitask under pressure, highly organized, and detail and process oriented.
- Exemplary written and verbal communication skills.
- A strong interest in culture, philanthropy and the independent film industry.
This is a full-time salaried position at our New York City office. We offer a generous benefits package including health, dental, vision, long-term disability, and employer-matching 401k plan. Cinereach also provides professional development funds to support self-directed professional growth. Legal authorization to work in the United States is required.
Cinereach is an equal opportunity employer.
Please submit a cover letter detailing your interest in this position, along with your resume, to [email protected] with the subject line: ‘Director of Marketing and Brand Strategy’
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.