Cinereach is seeking a highly motivated Chief of Staff to join the operations team. The Chief of Staff will play a vital, strategic, and involved role in the organization, and is responsible for developing and executing high-level processes, communication, and procedures, as well as operational strategies. This is an extraordinary opportunity to be a thought partner to senior management on the strategic deployment of operational resources to ensure that Cinereach meets its intended mission.
Cinereach is an independent film company dedicated to vital, artful filmmaking. As a philanthropic organization, Cinereach helps expand its films’ creative potential by offering adaptive development, financing, production, and other support models that align with the unique vision of each supported filmmaker. Cinereach also strives for a more sustainable film industry through targeted initiatives and strategic partnerships with like-minded organizations and commercial entities. Recent Cinereach productions and co-productions include the narrative feature films We the Animals, Sorry to Bother You, Beach Rats and a forthcoming stop-motion feature based on Marcel the Shell with Shoes On, as well as the documentaries MATANGI / MAYA / M.I.A. and Brimstone & Glory. The Florida Project, Strong Island, Last Men in Aleppo, The Fits, and the Academy Award nominated films I Am Not Your Negro, Cutie and the Boxer, and Citizenfour (Best Documentary, 2015), are among over 200 Cinereach grantees across the globe. Filmmakers including Eliza Hittman, Barry Jenkins, and Terence Nance have participated in Cinereach’s year-long fellowships, and producers such as Effie Brown, Scott Macaulay, Anish Savjani, Julie Goldman, Karin Chien, and Heather Rae have received awards for their innovation and mentorship through the Cinereach producers initiative. Current not-for-profit collaborators include Sundance Institute’s Art of Nonfiction and Producing initiatives, as well as Borscht Corp. of Miami, and the Detroit Narrative Agency.
Cinereach is a multi-talented 20-person team which continues to grow and experiment. This continuous evolution often inspires a start-up mentality and requires an operations team that drives for high levels of excellence while also being nimble. This new team member will manage two operations staff members while frequently collaborating and cooperating with members of the leadership team, external consultants, and the company at large. The Chief of Staff will be in touch with every person on our team and contribute to a wide range of projects and programs.
The primary responsibilities of the role include:
- Managing Cinereach’s short and long-term strategic planning process.
- Managing the operations team which coordinates all day-to-day operations matters across the various programs of the organization.
- Managing the human resource function (including drafting HR policies, designing and executing staff performance reviews, driving company culture through various retreats, inclusion & diversity initiatives).
- Assessing & strengthening operations to match the needs of Cinereach’s evolving culture and programmatic activities.
- Managing strategic initiatives and discrete projects on behalf of the Executive Director and leadership team.
The Cinereach team is driven, creative, self-directed and entrepreneurial. Motivated by the opportunity to help bring ambitious visions to life, we apply diverse skills, passions, and a collaborative spirit to our shared work. We strive to create agency with each team member and provide dedicated resources to encourage experimentation with models and approaches of support. We look to everyone on our team to actively advance our company culture and uphold our values, which include being present, being thoughtful, and ensuring trust. Most of the Cinereach staff work in a flexible, open plan office environment, which allows for both independent work and team-wide engagement.
The Ideal Candidate
For this position, the ideal candidate will be someone who strives to tackle projects head-on, is comfortable with self-direction, and thrives in a dynamic, fast-paced environment while juggling multiple priorities. They will be exceptionally organized and have excellent communication skills. The candidate will have an affinity for independent films, be driven to innovate and build in both small and significant ways and be looking to join a passionate, mission-driven team. Previous experience as a Chief of Staff (or similar role) in a mission-driven or media organization, as well as knowledge and experience in strategic planning, operations, and human resources, are required.
Background & Qualifications
- (Required) 10 years of strategic, operational management experience with exposure to a similar or adjacent industry and rapid growth culture.
- (Preferred) Experience in a human resource function.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to effectively interact with a variety of personalities and communication styles within and outside the organization and at all organizational levels.
- A proactive, solutions-oriented self-starter who possesses a flexible, pragmatic and creative approach to problem-solving.
- Able to multitask under pressure, highly organized as well as both detail and process-oriented.
- Exemplary written and verbal communication skills.
- A keen interest in philanthropy and/or the independent film industry.
This is a full-time salaried position at our New York City office. We offer a generous benefits package, including health, dental, vision, long-term disability, and employer-matching 401k plan. Cinereach also provides professional development funds to support self-directed, professional growth. Legal authorization to work in the United States is required.
Cinereach is an equal opportunity employer.
Please submit a cover letter detailing your interest in this position, along with your resume, to [email protected] with the subject line: ‘Chief of Staff’
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.