Cinereach is now accepting applications for a Business Affairs Associate to join our team.
Cinereach seeks a thoughtful and energetic attorney to build out the Business & Legal Affairs team and support our various philanthropic activities. Cinereach’s Business & Legal Affairs Function protects Cinereach’s integrity, ensures our philanthropic values are incorporated into all formal engagements, and crafts legal, business, and financial frameworks of support in furtherance of our mission, priorities, and initiatives. The Business Affairs Associate supports the day-to-day legal affairs of the organization, contract management and the creation of best practice template agreements and processes.
The Business Affairs Associate reports to the Director, Business & Legal Affairs and General Counsel and works closely with the Finance Manager as well as program managers to support the legal needs of the organization.
This is a full-time salaried position at our New York City office. We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package, including health, dental, vision, long-term disability, and a 401k plan. Legal authorization to work in the United States is required
• Provide day-to-day business and legal affairs support for philanthropic programs, including grant agreements, and third party vendor and consulting agreements
• Provide rights management support for organization’s library of film and music assets
• Create and manage tracking process for on-going third party contractual obligations
• Support creation of best practice templates, policies and processes for the organization, including best practice film finance, production legal and licensing templates and guidelines
• Support the management of corporate organizational structure and subsidiary formation and administration
• Organize, update, and maintain business affairs records and files
• Conduct due diligence and clearance of secondary content (blog posts, epk’s, etc.)
• Evaluate and review outside business affairs vendors, effectiveness, and costs
• Support grant administration and compliance with expenditure responsibility requirements as required
• Any other duties assigned
Background & Qualifications
• A member of the New York bar or another jurisdiction with a minimum of two years of relevant experience in entertainment law, transactional law or non-profit law
• The Business & Legal Affairs Function is highly collaborative, and the ideal candidate will be skilled at cultivating strong relationships with Cinereach team members and have a flexible, practical and creative approach to problem-solving
• Excellent drafting, communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills
• Must be able to multi-task under pressure and be highly organized and detailed and process oriented
• A self-starter who strives to improve processes, establish best practices and innovate
• An interest or background in philanthropy, entertainment law or independent film is a plus but not required
Cinereach’s mission is to support films that expand circles of empathy. Cinereach operates as a film foundation and production company and offers proactive and responsive support to filmmakers, projects and organizations. We strive to design our support in a way that addresses systemic barriers in the independent film space.
Since 2006, Cinereach has supported over 200 films globally, including such award-winning films as Pariah, Beast of the Southern Wild, Cutie and the Boxer, Best of Enemies, Diary of a Teenage Girl, The Fits, Beach Rats, and I Am Not Your Negro.
As part of its support mechanisms, Cinereach provides awards, grants, early development financing, production financing, filmmaker fellowships, audience engagement and post-production support, mentorship, and physical production support. Cinereach also partners with organizations such as the Sundance Institute on initiatives like the Art of Non-Fiction and the Transparency Project, and recently launched a Producer Initiative to support innovation, sustainability, mentorship, and creative producing in the independent film space.
The Cinereach team is driven, creative and growing. Motivated by the opportunity to help bring ambitious visions to life, we apply diverse skills, passions, and a collaborative spirit to our shared work. Cinereach strives to be nimble and flexible. Reinvention and outside-the-box thinking are the hallmarks of our approach. We value an open environment, which works best when our employees conduct themselves with self-direction and entrepreneurialism. Pro-active problem solving, with an eye towards supporting each other, is highly encouraged and appreciated. At Cinereach, we look to everyone on our team to actively contribute to our company culture and uphold our values, which include inclusion, transparency, curiosity, and generosity. We believe each employee is a vital and valued member of our team.
Cinereach is an equal opportunity employer.
How to Apply
Please submit your resume along with a cover letter to [email protected] with subject line: “Business Affairs Associate.” The cover letter should provide further context on your work history and how your interests or career development goals have led you to apply for this position.